Monday, December 26, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Movie Review)

IDBM Summary: Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker.


My thoughts: I loved this book. And for me that almost always means that I won't like the movie very much.  Of course, I thought the book was better. Not something that I am surprised about. There are some good things and some bad things about this movie.

  • The Good: The actors and actresses were all great in their roles. I had some doubts about the two main characters. But Daniel Craig made a perfect Mikael and even though Rooney Mara isn't what I pictured as Lisbeth, she definitely grew on me as I watched the movie. She acted the part very well. I also think that they did a good job keeping the book close to the movie. The rape scene was rather graphic, which I think is a good thing because it really shapes Lisbeth's character. The story moved along well, and even though it was three hours long, it didn't seem like a long movie as I was watching it.
  • The Bad: All of the suspense and mystery seemed to be missing from the movie. I know that they couldn't have really added any more to the length, but I do think there could have been more of an effort made into developing the mystery. The book keeps you guessing about what happened to Harriet. You suspect one person and then another and you really want to know what happened to her, at least I did. In the movie though there isn't anyone to really suspect we're lead to the conclusion without any guesses along the way. And I think that this really takes a lot of the beauty of the story out of the movie.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment: