Thursday, January 19, 2012

You Can't Run From the Heat (Book Review)

Title: You Can't Run From the Heat
Author: Qiana Williams
Source: From author for review (although the book is currently free on Amazon for those with Amazon Prime)


Goodreads Summary:
Kenya Brown moves from a small town on the outskirts of Chicago to New York City in order to get away from her past. Shaking off her extremely jealous ex boyfriend and trying to stay out of the middle of her parent's divorce, she uses her professional experience, intelligence and independence to move onward and start anew.

In her travels to New York, she meets a young handsome lawyer and they wind up running into one another some days later. Being cautiously optimistic, they begin dating and Kenya finds that he makes her happy in ways she hadn't thought possible. Kenya is hopeful that true happiness is finally hers for the taking.

What Kenya would have never expected is to enter a whole new world of drama; a whirlwind of events that will change her life in every manner. Unexpectedly, Kenya finds herself wrapped up in a whole new string of 'heat', which is what she thought she was leaving behind.

With a very provocative subplot that includes deception, lies, murder, blackmail, sex and a lawyer's "dirty" little secret, the dots all somehow connect back to the man that she is falling for and thus, ultimately Kenya. Is he worth staying around for and is the madness that she is seeing stemming from him, or is there more to the story than meets the eye? You decide in this addictive page turner, "You Can't Run From the Heat"


Thoughts:
I want to like this book. It has an intriguing plot and interesting characters, but unfortunately there are a number of reasons why this book just isn't for me. It starts off very slowly. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have finished the book if I hadn't promised to review it. I'm glad I didn't put it down though because things definitely pick up. For me though, I felt like a lot of the story was lost in the sex. (This is probably a good time to mention that this book is definitely for adults only). While I have no problem with sex scenes in books, in this novel, sex just seemed to get in the way of the story.
There are some very complex plots going on underneath the surface and these this are no doubt effecting how the characters think, talk, and act, but every time someone is about to discuss these complex things, they just end up having sex instead.
Kenya, the main character, is very likeable and we do get to see some of what she is thinking and feeling in the beginning of the book. But after she hooks up with Mike, that changes. She starts to worry about the creepy phone calls but instead of delving into her feelings about it, she has sex with Mike.
I've gone back through the end of the book several times, and I can't find any description at all of how the scandal is effecting her. She is happy that Mike is sharing her feelings about it with her, but we don't get to see this conversation so we don't know how he is feeling either.
I know that this novel has received many good reviews so it is definitely a book that people love to read, but to be honest, it just wasn't for me.


Rating: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I appreciate your honesty and admitted ambivalence. I have the feeling we are kindred spirits :)

    I am trying to read as many books as possible in 2012 and chronicling my experiences at:
    http://erinsbibliomania.blogspot.com/

    I would love for you to stop by and leave some of your favorite recommendations!

    Thank you for your literary thoughts!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete