Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars (Book Review)

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Source: Bought
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile


Goodreads Summary: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Thoughts: I love John Green and I was really expecting good things out of this novel. And it definitely delivered. This is definitely my favorite of the John Green books that I have read and that's saying a lot (although I haven't read Looking for Alaska yet).
The characters in this novel are very real. Augustus is intriguing and in every way a perfect match for the main character Hazel. Hazel, despite her many similarities to Esther Earl, is her own character. She is loveable and someone to root for. The underdog that you can help but want to be friends with. She is strong and brave and real. She, Augustus, and their friend Isaac give us a look into the lives of teens with cancer.
A world that has more challenges and difficulties than I would have imagined. They deal not only with the physical problems that come along with their illnesses, but also the stigma of disease and the loneliness that results as well as having to face the idea of death on a day to day basis in a way that no one else is forced to do.
Once again, John Green has written a classic young adult novel that I am sure will last for ages.


Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I was interested in reading this book but not sure if I wanted to make it a priority or not. After reading your review, though, I think I'll definitely put it on my to-read list. ~Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you stopped by my blog...

    I've been in a book rut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* its going to take soooo long for me to get my copy. At least it'll be signed! Haha
    Did you pre-order yours to make sure it was signed too?

    ReplyDelete