Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cocoa Almond Darling (Book Review)

Title: Cocoa Almond Darling
Author: Jeffra Hays
Source: from author for review


Summary from Author:

"Cocoa" is a love story, a man-woman, mother-daughter triangle.  
Told by Milly, an opinionated white grandmother, "Cocoa Almond Darling" relates the woman's history, her love for a married black man, and the daughter they share. Although this slightly illicit family of three try to avoid racial tensions, those tensions are there, erupting, and disrupting, their love for each other. Although Milly prefers not to talk about inner feelings, she tells the reader everything, with humor, some of it bitter. The issues of race are always there as an undercurrent, but the love story is powerful, and Milly's voice is real.



Thoughts:
I read the first ten pages of this book and then put it down. I was bored. Yesterday, I picked the book up again because I had to review it. And I am so glad that I did. Once I picked it up, I didn't put it down until I had finished it at three o'clock in the morning because I was that absorbed in the story. Once I got into and got to know Milly, I just had to know what happened to her. She is a wonderful character. I almost feel like she is a real person that I know now.
It is also the best story I have read about race issues in a long time. This story brings to light the differences between black and white, and what it is like when they fall in love. Even with racism not often an issue, this novel highlights the other issues that exist with this type of relationship.
The book is heartbreaking and wonderful and a must read for anyone interested in race-relationships.


Rating: 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. I read this book and loved it. As the reviewer said, there are many layers to the story. One is about sewing which I found fascinating. The characters are interesting, unusual and memorable. You will not forget this book once you read it.

    ReplyDelete